Yesterday i went to the movies and saw The Fault In Our Stars and cried my eyes out! Cried even more when i first read the book, but this movie… oh man! So this morning not only did i wake up with puffy eyes but had to work because today is farmers market saturday and shopping with sunglasses is not a good idea. After i had everything to make juices this week i bought my grocery list I started this Whole30 diet which is basically a very strict paleo diet ad for me its a strict pesceterian paleo diet. Saw some beautiful portobello mushrooms and figured i could do something with this.
And so i did! My brother was having a juicy burger so i decided to make my version of his burger. Hope you enojoy!!
Makes 1 burger
2 portobello mushrooms
1 tuna patty or the meat of your choice onions
garlic infused olive oil
– Add a little of garlic olive oil to both sides of your portobello mushrooms and grill 5 minutes each side.
– Start topping of your “burger”
Yes… that simple!
Its been FOREVER since i last posted something and lots have happened! I came back to Honduras and started my own juicery called ROOTS JUICERY and luckily enough its the first cold-pressed juicery in Honduras. God willing it will turn out successful! I finished my T25 and 2 months ago i started again and love every minute of it!
As you may know a Paleo Diet (or caveman diet) is a diet based on lean protein, fruits and veggies, healthy fats, that means bye bye processed food. Im tweaking it a little bit and im cutting things like chicken (yuck!), turkey, red meats and just sticking to seafood and fish. Also im trying to eat more raw veggies and introduced protein shakes to my diet. Reading It Starts With Food motivated me to start a semi paleo diet for the next 5 months. Have to shred the pound off!
Today im sharing a recipe by Oatmeal With Fork (original recipe here) that was both my lunch and dinner simply because it was fantastic. I added olives and olive juice to it just to make it a bit more salty since i omitted salt. Its both vegan and paleo so its good for your diet preference. Hope you enjoy!
- 1 t. olive oil
- 1T. shallot or onion, chopped fine
- 1 c. mushrooms, chopped
- black pepper, to taste
- olives and olive juice
- 2 large carrots, ribboned with a vegetable peeler
- ¾ c. marinara sauce
- fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the shallot or onion and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, olives, and pepper, and cook 5-6 minutes until the liquid from the mushrooms has evaporated.
- Add in the carrot ribbons and saute for one minute.
- Stir in the sauce, and let everything cook for 6-8 minutes until ‘noodles’ are done to your liking.
- Top with parsley and enjoy!
Before i came back to Honduras i made Dan a huge valentines day chocolate cake since we weren´t going to spend it together. We had dinner and i served him a piece of his cake, he went back for seconds and thirds until i told him it was a vegan cake. He couldn´t believe it! Got to thank Pureella for her recipe. It was delightful (according to him, im still juicing). If you are looking for a healthy alternative to celebrate valentines this will not disappoint. Hope you enjoy it as much as Dan did!
– 1 cup almonds
– 1/2 cup macadamia nuts
– 1 cup medjool dates, pitted
– 1/2 cup coconut flakes + extra for topping
– coconut oil for greasing
– 1 1/2 cup silken tofu (I used organic sprouted silken tofu)
– 3/4 cup dark 72% good quality chocolate squares (about 200g)
– 3 tablespoons coconut oil
– himalayan pink salt
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 1/4 cup organic agave nectar or raw honey (if not vegan)
– 1 tbsp of amaretto liqueur
You will also need : tart shells, about 4″D with removable bases are best, food processor, double boiler or a bowl with small pot to melt some chocolate.
For the crust:
– Soak the nuts for about 2-4 hours or longer even overnight in the refrigerator. Once they are soaked, rinse and drain them thoroughly. Place in a food processor and grind them up on high to a meal texture.
– Add the dates and the coconut flakes and continue processing until a paste forms. Turn off the food processor and check with your fingers if the mixture sticks when you press it between your fingers. If it falls apart, add one tablespoon of warm water at a time and continue checking for the right ‘slightly sticky’ texture.
– Grease the tart shells with some coconut oil. How many you make depends on the size of your tart shells. I used a 9inch tart mold. Fill the tart mold with the base mixture being sure to press the bottom evenly and bringing up the mixture up to the sides. Set aside.
For the filling :
– Start by setting up a double boiler or a dish over a small pot with water to melt the chocolate. (be sure the dish does not touch the water in the pot). Add the chocolate pieces and coconut oil and slowly allow to melt, stirring gently to incorporate the ingredients well. Once all melted, turn the heat off and keep in the bowl to stay warm and soft.
– Simply rinse and wipe the food processor from the base mixture and set it in place for the filling ingredients. Place the silken tofu, vanilla extract and agave or honey and pinch of salt into the food processor and mix on medium to blend together well. You may need to turn off the processor and scrape down the sides to make sure everything gets incorporated. Now you’re going to incorporate the melted chocolate. This has to be done very slowly as you never want to mix cold and hot ingredients too quick – the temperatures need to be blended in slowly. So, scoop a tablespoon of the melted chocolate into the mixer, close and blend on low, turn off and scoop in another tablespoon…. continue adding in the chocolate one tablespoon at a time until all in incorporated. Towards the end, be sure to scrape the sides down to get all the goodies combined.
– Scoop the filling into the tart mold and distribute evenly over the tops.
Place in the freezer to set for about 2 hours.
For some while now my post workout snack have been baked apple chips. It started as a microwave semi apple pie (just sliced apples with cinnamon in the microwave) and since i found a youtube channel called Raw.Vegan.Not Gross it has made my life better and easier. I´ve been their making apple chips ever since. It is just a fantastic snack to munch on if your just watching tv, going to the movies or just want a chip like alternative minus all the calories. This is simply perfect. Enjoy!
– 4-5 apples
– 1 tbsp cinnamon
– 1/2 tbsp ginger
– 1/2 tbsp nutmeg
– Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
– Core the apples and then slice them on a mandoline (or slice them thinly.)
– Toss with spices.
– Spread them out on a tray and bake at 200 degrees for 45 mins to an hour.
Hace tiempitos mi merienda después de hacer ejercicio han sido rodajas de manzanas al horno. Son super crujientes! Comenzó como un semi pastel de manzana de microondas (manzanas en rodajas con canela calentadas en el microondas) y desde que encontré con un video de youtube sobre cómo hacerlas ahora no las cambio. Lo único malo es que hay que estar hooooorraaaaass viendo el horno mientras la casa huele a pie de manzana!
He estado haciendo chips de manzana desde entonces. Es un aperitivo muy saludable para picar mientras están viendo televisión, las pueden esconder e ir al cine así evitan todas las calorías de las palomitas con mantequilla o los chocolates o los hot dogs! Buen provecho!
– 4-5 manzanas
– 1 cucharada de canela
– 1/2 cucharada de jengibre
– 1/2 cucharada de nuez moscada
– Pre-calentar el horno a 200 grados
– Quitarle el centro de las manzanas con un mandolin o con el cuchillo
– Mesclar todas las especies
– Esparcirlas en una bandeja y hornear por 1 hora cada lado
Its been a while since my last post and that’s because its been a while since I had time to actually sit down and write. Last week was DineLa or Los Angeles Food week in where a bunch of restaurants present 2-4 course meals. We visited a few and they were spectacular! My favorite was a red curry mussels with a coconut brown rice from Blue Plate Oysterette and man-oh-man was that fantastic! I will attempt to make my own soon and hopefully it will be half as good.
So new week and new recipe. Today i will share with you some Salmon Tacos. Dan loves his tacos and I have to say ive been very disappointed with the Mexican food here in Los Angeles. Having so much Mexican influence and Mexican people living here i would expect it to be soooo much better than what it actually is (nothing beats Taco Loco!). I cook better Mexican food. I just think they´ve just americanized mexican food and that no bueno!
I made some Salmon Tacos that will knock your socks off AND its low calorie. They are asian-mexican fusion tacos hope you enjoy!
– 12 ounces Salmon
– 1 tablespoon sesame oil
– 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
– 1 teaspoon soy sauce
– 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
– 6 Flour Tortillas
– Cabbage- Fresh Cilantro
– red Onion- Mashed Avocado
– Fresh Lime
– Pico De Gallo
– Marinate the salmon for 30 minutes in the sesame oil, rice wine vinegar and soy sauce.
– In a non-stick pan, add the 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil and heat it to medium-high heat. Add the Salmon, flesh side down and let cook for 3 minutes with a lid on the pan.
– Flip the Salmon and let the fish cook all the way through, about 5 more minutes. Set aside.
– Heat the tortillas in a non-stick pan until hot on both sides and a little crispy.
– Top with chopped cabbage and the fresh cilantro and onions
– Divide the Salmon among the tortillas and top with mashed avocado and lime juice.
– Serve with Pico De Gallo on the side.
Hace tiempito que escribi mi último post y es porque no habia tenido tiempo para sentarme a escribir . La semana pasada fue DineLA o la semana de comida en Los Angeles en donde un grupo de restaurantes presentan 2-4 platos de comida que el chef considera que son lo mejor que tienen para ofrecer. Visitamos unos cuantos y que fueron ES PEC TA CU LA RES! Mi favorito era un mejillones al curry rojo con arroz frito en coco de Blue Plate Oysterette y fue fantástico ! Voy a tratar de hacer mi propio pronto y espero que sea la mitad de bueno .
Así que semana nueva, receta nueva. Hoy voy a compartir con ustedes algunos Tacos de salmón . Dan ama sus tacos y tengo que decir que me siento muy decepcionada con la comida mexicana aquí en Los Angeles. Tener tanta influencia mexicana yo esperaría que fuera mucho mejor de lo que realmente es ( no hay nada como Taco Loco y La Doña !) . Mi comida mexicana es mucho mejor de lo que he comido aqui. Creo que hay mucha comida mexicana americanizada y eso no necesariamente rico.
Hice algunos Tacos de salmón exquisitos y lo mas importante es que es bajo en calorías. Son tacos asiaticos-mexicanos y espero les gusten. Buen provecho!
– 12 oz de salmón
– 1 cucharada de aceite de sésamo
– 1 cucharada de vinagre de vino de arroz
– 1 cucharadita de salsa de soya
– 2 cucharaditas de aceite vegetal
– 6 tortillas de harina
– repollo picado
– Culantro fresco
– Cebolla roja
– chismol o pico de gallo
– Marinar el salmón durante 30 minutos en el aceite de sésamo, el vinagre de vino de arroz y salsa soya.
– En un sartén, añadan las 2 cucharaditas de aceite vegetal y calentar a fuego medio-alto. Colocar el salmon carne hacia abajo y dejar cocer durante 3 minutos con una tapa sobre la olla .
– Den la vuelta al salmón y dejar que el pescado se cocine unos 5 minutos más . Ponga a un lado .
– Calentar las tortillas en una sartén hasta que esté caliente en ambos lados y un poco crujientes o envolver en una manta y calentar en el microondas por 2 minutos.
– Cubra con repollo picado, el culantro fresco y cebollas
– Divida el salmón entre las tortillas y cubra con puré de aguacate y jugo de limón .
– Servir con chismol
I´m trying to introduce more veggies into Dan´s diet since he has to get in shape for his Baker to Vegas Marathon in March. We ran from home to the Rose Bowl and back as part of his training so it was only natural we were starving afterwards. Ive made cauliflower pizza crust before from a Pinterest recipe i saw a long time ago from Knead To Cook and thought it was perfect for today.
We love cauliflower! It is wonderful raw, pickled, in a chopped salad, roasted, steamed, mashed with butter and onions, and marinated but as a pizza crust who knew. A healthy pizza crust might i add. It is an amazing grain free, gluten free phenomenon, that tastes delicious and pleases children and grownups alike. I topped it with mushrooms, tomato, green bell peppers, onions and poached shredded chicken and it was delish. Dan certainly seemed to love it since he ate all of it! Now you have a healthy pizza option for that summer bod we are all working for. Hope you enjoy!
1 cauliflower head, finely chopped or grated
1 large egg
1 cup of Parmesan Cheese
3 garlic, minced
2 grinds of black pepper
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
Preheat your oven to 450 degrees with your pizza stone on the lowest rack setting.
– Make sure you’re starting with washed cauliflower that has been dried as much as possible.
– Take your florets (with most of the stems removed) and place in your food processor until fluffy (if you don´t have a food processor you can chop it finely or use a potato peeler)
– Heat up the chopped cauliflower in the microwave for about 8 minutes. Meanwhile mix your cheese, herbs, egg, salt and pepper in a bowl.
– Once the cauliflower is heated mix with the rest of the ingredients and use your hands to mash them.
– Place in a pizza stone, skillet or parchment paper and bake it for 15-20 minutes or until brown.
– Once pizza crust is done you can top it with whatever you want and voila!
I love eggs! i really do! Boiled, scrambled, sunny side up, you name it. In fact if i were to die tomorrow my last meal would be eggs, beans, avocado, bacon and a black corn tortilla. No joke! I had left over Gruyere cheese from my tomato tart that i decided to incorporate it in my Croque Madame. A Croque Madame is jush a fancy french way to say ham and cheese sandwich with egg on top. It’s quick, easy and delicious, croque (croquant) crunch, French and perfect breakfast for a lazy Sunday. Bon Appetite!
2 slices sandwich bread
3 teaspoon unsalted butter
2 slices ham
1 oz of gruyere cheese
Salt and pepper
– On a hot skillet add a little Gruyere cheese for it to melt a little and place a bread slice on top of the cheese. It will stick to the bread.
– Then arrange thinly sliced smoked ham over and top with more gruyere cheese. Keep in skillet until it melts.
– In a skillet, over medium heat, melt a little piece of butter and crack an egg into the pan and cook sunny side up until it’s firm and cooked to your liking.
– Season with salt and pepper
AMO los huevos! Hervidos , revueltos , estrellados, como sea! Es más si me dijeran que mañana es mi ultimo dia y tengo que escoger una comida escogería huevos estrellados con frijoles, aguacate, bacón y una tortilla de maíz negro! Hmmm!! Hoy domingo hice Croque Madame. Un Croque Madame es la versión Francesa de un sándwich de jamón y queso con un huevo encima. Tenia queso Gruyere todavía de la tartaleta de tomate así que decidí incorporarlo en mi Croque Madame . Este rápido, fácil y delicioso desayuno francés es perfecto para desayuno, almuerzo o cena. Bon Appetite !
2 rebanadas de pan
3 cucharaditas de mantequilla amarilla
2 rebanadas de jamón
1 oz de queso gruyere
Sal y pimienta
– En una sartén caliente agregar un poco de queso Gruyere a que se derrita un poco y coloquen una rebanada de pan encima del queso. Se pegará al pan .
– Luego colocar el jamón ahumado en rodajas finas sobre el pan y cubrir con más queso gruyere . Mantener en un sartén hasta que se derrita.
– En una sartén, a fuego medio, derretir un trozo de mantequilla y cocinar un huevo estrellado.
– Sazonar con sal y pimienta